Author Topic: April 20, 2012 - Newsflash  (Read 14595 times)

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
  • The Man with the Hat is Back in Action...
    • View Profile
April 20, 2012 - Newsflash
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »
...and we're back!

Due to a problem with our old hosting, we had to move the website to a different host.

We're still on the look out for an artist for the team - so if you are interested - or know of a forum where potential artists might be at - then contact us.

Offline Grock

• Jack of all trades
  • It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: April 20, 2012 - Newsflash
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:57:16 am »
I could try to do a bit of graphics for the game.
You can see some of my art on pekj.deviantart.com
Maybe not precisely the style your looking for, but I believe I can fake just about any look.
I usually have a lot of things going on, am easily bored and naturally lazy, so don't expect me to do a lot of stuff. I wouldn't be The artist, but I could be An artist.
So what do you you think?

Offline Snaker8

• Team Member - Coder, Story
  • Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:04:05 pm »
Hello, thanks for showing interest!

I took a look at your art, and it seems that your style doesn't touch upon 320x200 pixel art that much, or perhaps I'm mistaken.

If you could specify what type of art you'd be interested in doing (sprite, background, animation, etc.), and send an example of that type of art then I could get a better idea of what you are willing to do.

Note that it would be preferred if you could be a regular contributor, but if you can't that's understandable as well, but you will have to make sure to match an existing style so that the standard of art in our game stays the same.

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:41 am »
As snaker8 already said, please send us an art sample.  :hat:

Offline Grock

• Jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:19:33 am »
If you feel that you need someone that specializes in 320x400 pixel art, than I'm not your guy.

But I feel I can do art with that kind of look too.

I've whipped up a fast Indy with a retro game look just for this occasion.

I've taken the background from a digital painting I've done earlier and made it into a game background with a 320x400 pixels and 256 color limitation.

The actual finished picture looked like this. (Could be found on my deviantart page)

This is an animation from a point-and-click game I've made as an challenge on Gamedev.se. Just to show that I can do animation.

The complete game you find here http://www.grock.se/flash/lanc/srpc.htm. I've done everything in it in two days, not just the art.  Different art style but similar type av of game.
This too could be found on my deviantart page.

Now, if you think I can be useful to you, let me know.

Offline selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 02:25:55 pm »
hey, this looks pretty cool. But sadly this is not quite the style we are after but what do you think about doing concept art for locations for the game?

Offline Snaker8

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:31:47 pm »
Selmiak more or less said what I was going to say.  You obviously have some artistic talent, but not necessarily that for the style we're looking for.

I personally like your almost surreal color palette you used for that image, and I think from a purely artistic standpoint it's nice, but as selmiak said it's not quite the style we're looking for.

Our art style doesn't have to be EXACTLY like it, but we are looking for something similar to classic LucasArts 90's adventure games, specifically like Fate of Atlantis:
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/127838-Fate_InGame.jpg
http://image.dosgamesarchive.com/screenshots/atlantis4.gif
http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/377088-indiana-jones-and-the-fate-of-atlantis-windows-screenshot.jpg

The art style  has no antialiasing for the most part - the pixels may give the appearance of "blur" up close, but they are all solid colors and lack transparency.
I've also learned from working on our demo that sharpness is also important - both for appearance sake and to help those coding (ie me) with setting foreground and background in AGS so that the concept of dimension and depth has some reality to it.
The guys over at barnettcollege.com (makers of Fountain of Youth, another Indy fan game) have actually provided a pretty good explanation/tutorial on making backgrounds with this look:
http://www.barnettcollege.com/tutorial1.htm

You indeed have some skills and I agree with selmiak that helping us with concept backgrounds at the very least would be a superb help for us.

If you're fine with just helping out with concept backgrounds (for which we would appreciate as we would finally have something to code with), then that's great.

If you're up for a bit more, then perhaps consider working on colored backgrounds in the style we're looking for - I think really it's just a matter of changing your color palette, level of anti aliasing, and sharpness detail to more match what we're looking for.

Also, here's the template for doing backgrounds for our game - there is also going to be that black bar at the bottom for that is where the GUI (inventory, buttons, etc.) goes.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1981/backgroundrrj.png

Thanks for your interest (and sorry for the long post!)

Offline Snaker8

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:23:34 pm »
I apologize for not answering any questions you may have - I have been mostly inactive up until the last few days.

Please state (or re-state) any questions you have, preferably to my PM.  I'll do my best to address them.

Thanks for your continued interested in the game!

Offline selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:51:27 pm »
Since this thread is a little about art, am I allowed to ask a few question? In my style thread between two worlds those stay unheard.

...but ... but ... you deleted all your interesting posts :P

Offline Snaker8

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:14:39 am »
I do recall "The Dig" and "Full Throttle" having some of the most detailed and sprites in them out of the various adventure games LucasArts made.  The scale was also somewhat different as well.

If you're interested in making character sprites, then please do a sample of Indiana Jones or another character.

The style of the two titles you mentioned was somewhat different, but I still think it could probably work, given that we eventually re-do the art of the Barnett College section...

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:05 pm »
The style of the two titles you mentioned was somewhat different, but I still think it could probably work, given that we eventually re-do the art of the Barnett College section...

I would like to see a sample sprite as well.

Right now, I'm not really picky about what art style we use - it doesn't even specifically have to match LucasArts - as long as it looks good - and it can get done. It's better to have a game that gets done than something that takes 20+ years to produce because the designers we're concerned with matching a certain style 100%. :hat:

Offline Grock

• Jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »
@Amélie: Thank you. 
My little walking guy actually is patterned on Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser) of the Mummy movies.

@Snaker8: So I take it you would want a background painted within the template. If you just want to use it as placeholder art I'm perfectally fine with that.
What should be in the background?
What height in pixels would the characters that are going to be used in the scene have? (to get the scale right)
Maybe you could message me the details.

Offline Snaker8

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:29 pm »
I've sent a PM to you detailing a complex room for you to try out.  If you need further information, let me know.

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 10:36:40 pm »
The next planed setting is the New York City section of the game.  :hat:

Offline Snaker8

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:18 pm »
I look forward to seeing your work!

Although I could be mistaken, I believe me and several others discussed a while back the possibility of making this into an episodic experience (which is what I assume you mean by chapter releases).

I think we decided that it would be better if we released the full game instead of sections of it at a time.  Several reasons exist for this:
- It avoids a lot of AGS files and minimizes the amount of duplication and crossover of various game information to new AGS data files
- Personally, I don't like episodic gaming as it is much more satisfying to play a truly epic, long game rather than several short little games
- The "episodic" gaming experience is a relatively reason phenomenon, and although our style is not exactly alike, it would be preferable to have a gaming experience more similar to the original adventure games of the '90s

As for the next setting, it's really up in the air at the moment.  As doctorfargo said, right now we're doing the New York section.  We aren't working on the game necessarily in chronological order - we're working on what we've decided would be interesting to do next.

I'd go on and on about this stuff but my posts always seem to get very long >_> , and I don't think doctorfargo wants me to spoil too much...