Author Topic: January 1, 2015 - Newsflash  (Read 9583 times)

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
  • The Man with the Hat is Back in Action...
    • View Profile
January 1, 2015 - Newsflash
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:59:53 pm »
Happy New Year everybody!

Have a happy and adventurous 2015!  :D  :hat:

PS -
Since it's 2015, I'm expecting flying cars, hover boards, and clean nuclear fusion that runs on garbage to appear any moment now!  :D

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
Re: January 1, 2015 - Newsflash
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:11:43 pm »
you forgot the 4-seconds pizzas! ;)

Happy new year everyone!

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:20:26 pm »
I would like to read something during the making in the future

We do work a lot but these are not things that can be shown (yet). Because at the moment they mainly consist in:
- discussions about puzzles
- fine-tuning of existing scenes.
...But be sure that we always publish exciting things ;) And we like to keep a bit of mystery, to keep you excited  8)

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:04:29 pm »
It's funny because I just read that post on the AGS forums, and then randomly came here, just to have a look -- and realized I didn't fully answer Amelie's message. And it turns out it's the same Amelie asking things :)

So anyway :

What have been some surprises and decisions during the development? Is it hard to to keep motivation for several years?

What I find is that it's hard to have a full team motivated all at the same time. It's more like people come and go. They have that period of intense motivation, and then they drift away. :) So it's up to us to make the most of their talent while they're here. If you delay it too much (because you're too busy at the time) then they'll give up even before you gave them a chance to do anything.
Bottom line: team management is of the essence. ;) On a related note: @Charalampos, I'm counting the day until I can give you the shitload of work I want to give you. Pray for this day to never happen! ;)

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:38:33 am »
I gonna stay away from the BigBlueCup forums, (...) but hopefully will be allowed to volunteer in Calin Leafshade's Sanctuary Int, team.

You're a good sprite artist, I've tried to convince you to draw sprites now and then but never succeeded. Do you thing there's a chance I can convince you?

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:24 am »
Bu maybe could volunteer as a excluded non-team-memer that creates and animates unimportant sprites (vultures, lamas, mice and all sorts of birds) here in the public forum... There could be way more life in backgrounds - and I truely like animals.

Believe it or not, that's exactly what I had on mind! ;)

I have three things for you, if you want :
1) Birds flying in circles in this image

2) A bird landing on the rock on the right (the rock that's on the side of the road), and then flying off, along with an idle animation while it stays on the rock. I suggest a black bird, like a crow or something.

3) A rattle snake appearing in the cave exit (the orange area in the right part of the image) while Indy is inside. The snake stays in the lighted area. It's blocking the exit. It must look threatening. Possibly an attack animation (the snake stays where it is but tries to bite).

What do you think?

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:36:37 am »
Hey Amelie, you won't believe this, but I hadn't seen the sprite characters in your previous post. They got blocked by my company's filters.
They're nice!

Like "GreenBeams" said on the AGS forums (I found the expression very funny and it's my new favorite expression) : I'm taking an executive decision ( ;) ) and I'm sticking to ProgZmax sprite's size, which is 54px. There are several reasons to that, some artistic, some technical.

Now about that bird size : when it's sitting on the rock, I'd say it should be 5 or 6 pixels in height. 7 at most, if really needed.
Did you ever do an animation in Photoshop (.psd file format)? I have nothing against AseSprite, but the file format might be an issue for us in the future if we need to modify the animation.

You know, I think I wouldn't mind if you did the Elizabeth sprite... But then you'll have to commit to it (whole walkcycle and stuff)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:29:24 pm by jeancallisti »

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:29 pm »
Ricky once was right about me:

Well, I'm right 99% of the time about stuff.   :P

Did you draw that sprite? It looks great!  :D

Online selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 04:29:51 pm »
Maybe Selmiak knows how this issue is being dealed in other games.

Germany is strange in that regard. Swastikas in the indy movies are okay, because they are more art than games. In the indy games the swastikas are cencored in germany. I wouldn't know how it is in the international version as I live in germany and have no internet access ;)

that bird is cute! we should give indy the option to pick up some stones and throw it at the bird and it flies away. Or feed it. no puzzle but interaction :hat:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:44:09 pm by selmiak »

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:35:01 am »
Hey Amélie,

You're dealing with interesting topics. I'll try to address all of them :

1) About Photoshop. Oh well, if you don't have it, then what can I say?  :) Stick to AseSprite
2) About your LCD/laptop monitor: Don't worry, none of us have professional monitors. (well, I do, I got it out of cheer luck, but I'm not using it at the moment for technical reasons)
3) About the Swastikas : I understand the decision of Germany. I myself hate when pop art or games use the nazi visual elements to look cooler (for example: the game Luftrausers is excellent, but there's too much nazi stuff in it for my taste). Anyways, I'm not starting a debate, that room is in a nazi base, so we put nazi flags, but you're absolutely right, we should consider creating an alternative version for Germany.
4) Indy size: we really need to stick to 54px, because it's already bigger than our original sprite, and if we keep inflating it, we'll have to redraw all the backgounds  :-\
5) Elisabeth sprite: your Elsa Schneider sprite is niiiice... I wouldn't mind you adapting it, if the others agree, and if you feel like it
6) The bird: I'd suggest you make it one pixel smaller, otherwise that would be a really big crow. I'll let you decide if you keep the eye or not after reducing it.
7) The snake It's definitely too thick. It's almost a boa! :) It should be between one or two pixels thick, not three. And the head should be barely thicker than the body, if not at all. Maybe a darker pixel at the back of the head could be enough to represent the sharp edge of the jaw? I'll let you decide. But the end of the tail can be big: it's important that the player can identify it's a rattle snake. You can even push up the constrast of that part, to make the rings even more visible.
8 ) Not harming the snake : OK, we'll do that.  :) The bird will be safe too. I already have a puzzle on mind for the bird; it's only meant to draw Indy's attention onto something.
9) Posting the progress publicly : How about we say that you can see the private forums once you've completed the animals animations? ;)

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:04:20 pm »
Hey Amélie,
5) Elisabeth sprite: your Elsa Schneider sprite is niiiice... I wouldn't mind you adapting it, if the others agree, and if you feel like it

I agree!  :D

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 12:39:19 pm »
- is there further information about the scale of your 7CoG project: room count, how many NPC to be expected, how far you've gotten in percent in production etc. ?

Yes, there is, we have all that quantified and tracked closely (I'm ain't even joking!). I'd need to check the current progress but basically we have, I'd say... 25% of approximately 75 backgrounds?
Plus the game is divided into sections : one of them is 90% scripted, another one is 50% scripted.

There's still a lot of work, but we're progressing steadily. I think we'd need to try again having a finished Indy sprite and an Elisabeth sprite (at the moment we're still using prototypes -- pretty prototypes, but prototypes anyway), that would be a big boost for the motivation.

Online selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 01:01:42 pm »
Oh nooo, Indy friendly helps and feeds birds - he never would throw stones at them. ::)

But it's not indy, it's the player who decides to do this...

Online selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »
I enjoy revisiting Fate of Atlantis sprites. Will scan my animation sheets next week, and have to choose the right colors. Also still saving up money for a small SRGB monitor. A Happy Easter to all of you, selmiak, Ricky, Mathieu, Charalampos !

Elsas front view looks nice, but there is something I don't like about the sideview (3/4 view), her face looks like an insect somehow...

Online selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 04:59:26 pm »
Elizabeth "The Ant Woman" Stenson, now less insectoid (54px):

better. A lot!

thanks for this nice comparison chart
FoA (48px), Dig (66 px). And the third example lineup, Markbilly's The Longevity Gene, with nicely shaped characters with 1px for the side nose (56-58px).

I never heard the term side nose before, but now I understand everything!