Author Topic: Translations  (Read 5045 times)

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
  • The Man with the Hat is Back in Action...
    • View Profile
Translations
« on: January 05, 2020, 09:14:18 pm »
Interested in helping to translate the demo into another language other than English?

#1 - Please download this file:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3vg9hz9uhkm5kha/New.trs/file

#2 - The file can be edited in Notepad and instructions for how to format it are in the file itself

#3 - Please sign up for our forum and post your results here (and any translation questions)

Thanks!  :hat:

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 02:05:45 am »
I started a translation into German language (native speaker) but this will take some time. If anyone else is interested, please let me know. I will check if it is possible to create a google sheet so multiple people can edit the document at the same time. This will require a google account.

I use "////" in the translation line (appended to the end of the line) when I am not sure about the translation or have comments about the translation, as sometimes you cannot simply translate 1:1 but have to use local slang to make it feel natural. This should make it easier to find these parts simply by searching for "////"

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:27:46 am »
I use "////" in the translation line (appended to the end of the line) when I have comments

Great marker system.
If you have started then please provide the URL to the Google document and we can help with the lines where you added comments.
Please refrain from translating any line that seems technical; There's no point in translating error messages for example.
Also keep in mind that you should never remove anything like %s %d etc.

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:40:31 am »
Thank you.

I am still sitting in front of the text file, currently at line 1820. Yes, I already skipped all technical text.

I encountered one problem when translating inventory action texts. In German, you have three different articles, depending on the grammatical gender of the object (der, die das) - in English, it always is neutral 'the' - so if I do not know to which inventory object a sentence applies to, I cannot translate it with correct grammar.

As soon as I am finished or stop working on it I will upload it here and will have a look at google doc if it is working as I assume (I never tested this, it was only an idea). In any case I will update this thread.

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:54:55 am »
Phew, I need a break.

I saved the document at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h1YokQfd_dHiyRUWG5Cmrw7DOuwd1PUP2MyZvaJtY5s/edit?usp=sharing
You can copy column 'A' from the goggle docs sheet into your text editor and save this as a TRS file.

I use some conditional formatting to make things easier to read and edit:
- Empty Lines are marked GREY
- Lines with comments are marked ORANGE

NOTE: The current setting is, that anyone with access to the link above can completely edit the table.

NOTE: Do not use the Google docs link above, it will break the file!

If you want to check or contribute, you can either use https://codeshare.io/5Dq8dl (always up-to-date) or download the file attached here in this post (updates less frequent).

I am working with the online version. As a backup copy, I will attach the file with it's current status here periodically. File name is [Language]_[translated up to which line]_[YYYYMMDD].trs

Current status (24.01.2020, 19:57 GMT):
Language: German

ToDo:
- Feedback from other testers

LAST EDIT: 24.01.2020, 02:08 GMT
2020-01-24, 19:57 GMT
- Updated two lines after input from jeancallisti

2020-01-12, 02:09 GMT
- Updated two translations to respect their origin movies and TV series

2020-01-11, 15:23 GMT
- Shortened Bonus Game text to fit in one line

2020-01-11, 05:43 GMT
- Spell checked the translation
- Credits reworked to fit on screen
- Fixed even more typos
- Reworked another dozen translations (everytime I look at it,  I find something I can do better ;) )
- Attached is the compiled translation file (GER.tra) - copy to your installation directory and start winsetup.exe and select the game language GER. NOTE: This is a first draft. The game requires an update to fully support the translation. Don't blame the developers for wrong rendered characters. But you can blame me for lame translations. Input is very welcome.
- DO NOT USE THE GOOGLE DOCS DOCUMENT as a template - always use the attachment here!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:59:00 pm by AmigaMaster »

Online Tremulas

• Scripter
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 07:39:26 am »
File is ok and accessable !

Online Tremulas

• Scripter
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 02:39:43 pm »
I have start sending this link to some gyus that offered to translate (Spanish , Italian etc )

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 03:21:01 pm »
Hey there, thanks for letting me help. I just downloaded the file and started working on the Italian translation, it won't take long.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 08:48:46 pm »
Ok so I'm like 95% done with the Italian version. Is there any way I can test the file locally before uploading it here? I checked the installation folder but couldn't find any .trs file in there.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 01:43:19 am »
So I'm done with the Italian translation but I figured the format isn't the correct one. I translated the lines by replacing the original ones with the italian ones, while it says in the first lines of the file "// ** REMEMBER, WRITE YOUR TRANSLATION IN THE EMPTY LINES, DO // ** NOT CHANGE THE EXISTING TEXT." I didn't read it at first.
So my question is: is the correct format like this

-English line
-Italian line
(empty line)

and so on?

And if so, should I manually fix the whole file by putting back the original lines over the italian ones?

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 01:47:36 am »
Hello n0l4n,

no you need to use the empty lines and write your translation into these lines, replacing them.

As an example, see the google docs link above. I just finished the German translation and uploaded the file here (it is a copy from the google docs documents via copy and paste.

I am now working with the google document only but providing a backup copy as file upload in my post above.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 02:09:36 am »
Like AmigaMaster wrote.

It's

English line
Italian line
English line
Italian line
English line

English line
Italian line

Write your text in the empty line right under the English line, leave empty if translation does not apply to that line.

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
  • The Man with the Hat is Back in Action...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 03:10:27 am »
Ok so I'm like 95% done with the Italian version. Is there any way I can test the file locally before uploading it here? I checked the installation folder but couldn't find any .trs file in there.

That would be in the source code. The installation is a compiled version of the game scripts and files.

What does the rest of the team think of making the demo source code available for beta-testing for translators?

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 03:17:45 am »

That would be in the source code. The installation is a compiled version of the game scripts and files.

What does the rest of the team think of making the demo source code available for beta-testing for translators?

I'm not really familiar with AGS but it seems like it allows for translation files to be used on startup. Winsetup.exe has a "game language" drop down menu that seems to call in for any .tra file included in the game root folder. So I thought it could read from those. Is that right?

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 05:35:34 am »
I'm 100% OK with making the sources available, it's just that I'm off the grid for two weeks.

Please note that I'm not in favor of sharing the link to Sync.com, whether be editable or just readonly. For all sorts of technical reasons.
I think what must be done is copy the folder of the sources, zip it up, and share it using any kind of file transfer tool, like WeTransfer or whatnot.
Then the tester can test around as much as they want.
Then when the translation file is ready, we integrate it into the "real" sources.

Please note that if several translators are working at the same time, it's easy to use professional tools (diff, merge...) that can be found easily by typing google queries such as "online diff". It's suicidal to hope doing that sort of task manually.