Author Topic: Translations  (Read 1269 times)

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 02:31:02 pm »
Thank you.

But wouldn't it just be easier to get a working translation file to work with the game as it is? Is that a possibility?

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
That is not possible, since AGS translation file (.tra file) is not a text file.
You need to use AGS, import the file, compile and it will convert it to TRA. Only then it can be read by the game as a translation file.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 03:12:36 pm »
That is not possible, since AGS translation file (.tra file) is not a text file.
You need to use AGS, import the file, compile and it will convert it to TRA. Only then it can be read by the game as a translation file.

I see. Thank you for explaining that. Let's hope they'll decide to make the source code available so that we'll be able to test the translation files ourselves then.

Offline selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 08:25:02 pm »
it might take a while before the sources are in a state to be released to the public, but you can start translating already.
Of course you need to have played the game already to make a good translation, no matter what. Having it completed twice is even better as you then just know where in the game you are in the translation file.
having the game sources only speeds up having the translation in the game for testing, but searching for typos can also happen with the .trs file by just copy+pasting the texts into a wordprocessor and running a spellchecker. if you don't know where a line in the .trs file appears in the game just translate it as best as you can, you will find it when testing the whole translation and can fix it if needed, searching it in the source is only a tad bit easier than just testing the game with a translation. I translated a lot of AGS games and all this worked out great without even having the sources. After 2-3 testruns, it was done...

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 11:18:54 pm »
it might take a while before the sources are in a state to be released to the public, but you can start translating already.
Of course you need to have played the game already to make a good translation, no matter what. Having it completed twice is even better as you then just know where in the game you are in the translation file.
having the game sources only speeds up having the translation in the game for testing, but searching for typos can also happen with the .trs file by just copy+pasting the texts into a wordprocessor and running a spellchecker. if you don't know where a line in the .trs file appears in the game just translate it as best as you can, you will find it when testing the whole translation and can fix it if needed, searching it in the source is only a tad bit easier than just testing the game with a translation. I translated a lot of AGS games and all this worked out great without even having the sources. After 2-3 testruns, it was done...

Italian, spanish and german translations are already completed as far as I know, I've completed the game twice and I'm fairly sure everything is in order. I'd like a chance to test the file in the actual game if possible. Otherwise I'll just wait for you guys to make the proper game versions and publish them.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 01:08:05 am »
If you upload it someplace one of us can grab it and compile it, and send you the link to the tra file.

Edit: Also font use can be slightly tricky. So special characters might not work out the box (depending on which characters the current font supports.)

Here's some info on fonts for AGS: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Fonts

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 10:08:48 am »
EDIT: Here is the link to the sources:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/6e0024ae1efedb130100f18631dc362920200108101430/39d70fe39da42302e957868517ebf5f320200108101431/3e3b3c

It will be uploaded for about a week I'm guessing.

The AGS we used to compile this game is this one : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/releases/finals/AGS-3.4.1-P4/AGS-3.4.1-P4.zip

Please focus on translating the game and disregard the menus (pick up, push, pull, save, load, exit, etc.) as those use a separate system.

The overall method for generating the .TRA file and working with it is explained in the manual. While you have AGS open, press F1, then in the "index" tab's search box, type "translation". This will let you open the article for translations.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:34 pm »
Here's the Italian .trs file, I've checked it a couple of times, everything should be in order now. I'd love the chance to test it in game, though I've read the instructions on how to add the file to the game but the procedure is a little above me, to be honest.

If anybody in this forum feels like creating the .tra file to use with the game, that'd be great.

Offline Tremulas

• Scripter
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 06:13:15 pm »
Thanks n0l4n , we appreciate it a lot !

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 06:57:44 pm »
Here's the tra for the Italian version- Thanks n0l4n :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/atwxbw45i308rxn/ITA.tra/file

Also a quick guide for those that want to compile their own tra.

Download both files above.
- Unpack each into a new folder.
- Go to the AGS folder and run AGSEditor.exe
- On the welcome splash screen, choose "Continue and existing game" and find the Game.agf file on the Relic of the Viking folder (make the folder name shorter if needed).
- Now on the Explore project tree on the right, scroll down to "Translations"
- Right click Translations and choose "New Translation"
- Name it the language you're adding.
- Name your trs file the same as the name you picked above, and replace the one AGS created on the Relic of the Viking folder.
- Press F7 (Build Game exe) and wait until it's finished.
- Now, on your Relic of the Viking folder locate the new folder named Compiled and afterwards Windows.
- Run winsetup.exe and choose your new added translation.
- Save and Run  :D

Note: If you have a problem running AGSEditor, you might need to install some other tools, like Network Frames, but ask if needed, as I can't remember exactly what is and which version it is (it should tell you though, and if memory serves me right, can be downloaded directly from Microsoft.)

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 07:38:51 pm »
Here's the tra for the Italian version- Thanks n0l4n :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/atwxbw45i308rxn/ITA.tra/file

Also a quick guide for those that want to compile their own tra.

Download both files above.
- Unpack each into a new folder.
- Go to the AGS folder and run AGSEditor.exe
- On the welcome splash screen, choose "Continue and existing game" and find the Game.agf file on the Relic of the Viking folder (make the folder name shorter if needed).
- Now on the Explore project tree on the right, scroll down to "Translations"
- Right click Translations and choose "New Translation"
- Name it the language you're adding.
- Name your trs file the same as the name you picked above, and replace the one AGS created on the Relic of the Viking folder.
- Press F7 (Build Game exe) and wait until it's finished.
- Now, on your Relic of the Viking folder locate the new folder named Compiled and afterwards Windows.
- Run winsetup.exe and choose your new added translation.
- Save and Run  :D

Note: If you have a problem running AGSEditor, you might need to install some other tools, like Network Frames, but ask if needed, as I can't remember exactly what is and which version it is (it should tell you though, and if memory serves me right, can be downloaded directly from Microsoft.)

Awesome, thank you!

I just started doing some test and I noticed that the disclaimer at startup is still in English although the translation is present in the trs file.

Also, it seems like every single line that contains the % character (such as in the skull puzzle) still shows up in English, despite the translated line being present right underneath the English one.

One last thing, the è é à ù ì ò characters appear as "?"

Any way to fix these issues? Thanks in advance.

Edit: The interaction verbs still appear in English as well

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:53 pm »
As I said previously, special characters need a font that has them. It's obvious that the current font doesn't have special characters. Which means the dev team will have to add the font and code the game to use another font when a specific translation is used. This is not something that can be fix without someone doing some work and compiling a new version of the demo, I'm afraid.

As for the verbs like jeancallisti, said, these use another system and also needs to be fixed in the game source.
As for the disclaimer, I cant really say why it's not translating. I'll take a look at the code and see if it's something off on the trs file. If not then maybe something that needs to be forced in the source code.

Edit2: I've looked at the trs code and you have added some empty lines. This messes up how AGS reads the lines, as it has no idea what is what, it just knows that line x  equals x+1 in the translation. How ever if you add an empty line then x is no longer x but x+1, but AGS will read x+1 as the translated line.

Remember you have:
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation or empty

If you have
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation
empty <------------------------ this line will mess everything up.
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation or empty

Edit:
I did notice in the code that there's some french fonts in the source, though I haven't tried the provided french translation, so can't say if it's using this font. If you like, you may try and see if the game will use this fonts by replacing the fra.tra with your ita.tra. In other words, use your italian version and write it over the french, then run the game by selecing french and see if that fixes the fonts (I haven't tried this yet).

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 09:26:34 pm »
As I said previously, special characters need a font that has them. It's obvious that the current font doesn't have special characters. Which means the dev team will have to add the font and code the game to use another font when a specific translation is used. This is not something that can be fix without someone doing some work and compiling a new version of the demo, I'm afraid.

As for the verbs like jeancallisti, said, these use another system and also needs to be fixed in the game source.
As for the disclaimer, I cant really say why it's not translating. I'll take a look at the code and see if it's something off on the trs file. If not then maybe something that needs to be forced in the source code.

Edit2: I've looked at the trs code and you have added some empty lines. This messes up how AGS reads the lines, as it has no idea what is what, it just knows that line x  equals x+1 in the translation. How ever if you add an empty line then x is no longer x but x+1, but AGS will read x+1 as the translated line.

Remember you have:
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation or empty

If you have
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation
empty <------------------------ this line will mess everything up.
Eng
Translation or empty
Eng
Translation or empty

Edit:
I did notice in the code that there's some french fonts in the source, though I haven't tried the provided french translation, so can't say if it's using this font. If you like, you may try and see if the game will use this fonts by replacing the fra.tra with your ita.tra. In other words, use your italian version and write it over the french, then run the game by selecing french and see if that fixes the fonts (I haven't tried this yet).

Done, I renamed my ita.trs as fre.trs and run it, it works just in the same way, special characters still appear as question marks.

I'll check the format with the empty lines tomorrow, but I noticed that the lines wich contain % were just not translated at all, any clue about that?

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 10:33:56 pm »
My guess it's the spaces you have added to the file.
Let's fix those first, and then we can see if there's any line not being translated.

My guess is that after these lines in the trs file every single after that space before TESTING; is messed up.
That priest didn't have any children, sadly. His secrets died with him.
Ma sfortunatamente non ebbe alcun figlio e i suoi segreti morirono con lui.

TESTING;

As for the French not working... guess the fonts are there but there's no code to use them.

Edit: And I just looked at the Fre.trs file and it's not even translated , guess the dev was just using it to test the special characters. There's actually no French language in the demo...

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:33 pm »
I have attached a compiled TRA file for German language based on the latest file from my post http://binarylegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,981.msg8383.html#msg8383

I noticed, that the disclamer text is not replaced with the translation but added at the bottom. Maybe we should create a central ToDo list or is it possible that the thread initiator can update his first post with such a list?

And don't laugh, I already changed some clumsy text - it really helps, when you see the context ;)

German special characters (so called 'Umlaute'), are still present in the source and are rendered as ?? in the game.

Until clarified if we should use them or not, I would leave it that way because it is easy to get rid of them (search and replace - there are substitutions for all of them) but getting them back is a little bit harder as the substitution may be contained in other words and languages.

List of special characters (character / substitution):

ä / ae
ö / oe
ü / ue
ß / ss

Attached translation file compiled on 2020-01-09, 00:40 (Updated)