Author Topic: Translations  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2020, 11:57:11 pm »
@n0l4n

Okay I'm back, and fixed the trs (as good as I could anyway).
Not only you have added empty lines, there were also some lines where you placed the translated above the English, plus a fail copy paste.

I also noticed you copy pasted text that had nothing to translate. Just leave empty if there's nothing to translate in that line, it will use the original line if the translated line is empty.

Here's the fixed trs: http://www.mediafire.com/file/evtecqf9x4n747u/ita.trs/file
and the compiled tra: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0w0u09zrrsq7g5w/ITA.tra/file

@AmigaMaster what do you mean about
that the disclamer text is not replaced with the translation but added at the bottom.
?

It should translate, I just tested with the italian version.

I'll download your tra and see what you mean. Even though I don't know German.

Edit: I tested your TRA and can see your disclaimer isn't translated.  Can you provide me with your trs so I can try to spot where an error might be? I can't see a way to download a txt file from Google docs. :/

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2020, 12:33:00 am »
Hello Cassiebsg,

I updated the TRS file in my post http://binarylegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,981.msg8383.html#msg8383

You can copy the text from google docs: Mark column A and select copy, then paste it into your text editor and save it as a .TRS file. Works like a charm for me (Using Visual Studio Code as en editor).

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2020, 01:05:38 am »
Thanks

Well, I've looked at it, and all seems to be in order. There doesn't appear to be misplaced lines.
 I'll try and see if I can spot what is causing this tomorrow. Too tired to continue today. If you or anyone else spots what is causing it, just post it here. :)

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2020, 02:02:10 am »
@n0l4n

Okay I'm back, and fixed the trs (as good as I could anyway).
Not only you have added empty lines, there were also some lines where you placed the translated above the English, plus a fail copy paste.

I also noticed you copy pasted text that had nothing to translate. Just leave empty if there's nothing to translate in that line, it will use the original line if the translated line is empty.

Here's the fixed trs: http://www.mediafire.com/file/evtecqf9x4n747u/ita.trs/file
and the compiled tra: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0w0u09zrrsq7g5w/ITA.tra/file

Wow, that's what I call efficiency! I was just about to start fixing the format and extra lines, thank you so much for doing it for me, you saved me some work.

Edit: The extra lines happened because at first I replaced the original lines with the translated ones, so I had to paste the English lines back in later on, which wasn't ideal, but that was the best I could do at that point, as I was already 80% done translating.

I will use your tra/trs now to run further tests, thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:09:53 am by n0l4n »

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2020, 03:03:33 am »
@cassiebsg

Ok, so now the inital disclaimer works as intended. I'm playing through the game again checking everything. I've noticed that the scroll on the tinted glass at the beginning of the game now reads in Italian as intended, although numbers are still displayed in English, though the rest of the sentence is completely translated, numbers remain as one, two, three and so on.
I've checked the .trs files, numbers are translated right underneath.

Also, this block of lines from Indy's diary, the saints' quotes (hints), are still completely in English:

The verb has %s, the soul has %s. The last one has %s.
Il verbo ha %s. L'anima ha %s. L'ultimo ha %s.
And they saw that %SIDENAME% needed one more to please the Lord.
E videro che %SIDENAME% necessitava di uno in più per volere di Dio.
Let them add one to %SIDENAME%, said He.
Aggiungetene uno a %SIDENAME%, Egli disse.
The truth will be revealed to them if %SIDENAME% has one more.
La verità verrà rivelata solo qualora %SIDENAME% ne abbia uno in più.
'Forget this folly and remove one from %SIDENAME%.', He said to them.
'Dimentica questa follia e aggiungi uno a %SIDENAME%.', Egli disse.
The humility commands you to remove one from %SIDENAME%.
L'umiltà richiede di togliere uno da %SIDENAME%.
He looked and said: 'You chose that number for %SIDENAME%? That is one too many'.
Egli guardò e disse: 'Hai scelto quel numero per %SIDENAME%? Ce n'è uno di troppo'.

The priest's line "Give back the toe at once!" still comes out in English, despite the translated line being right underneath.
Same goes for the line: "I'd say it was a furnace or an oven. It's OLD"
And for the line: "The rumour says that he stashed a treasure somewhere here"

Possibly an issue with extra empty lines in there as well? I've compared my file to the original .trs but couldn't seem to find extra empty lines in there.

I've also noticed that characters like à, ù and such are displayed correctly in the dialogue selection screen, they show up as "?" only once the line is actually "spoken" and displayed in the upper portion of the screen, which seemed odd to me.

I know I misplaced a few lines here and there, my bad. As I said I was already 80% done translating when I noticed I wasn't supposed to replace the English lines rather than write the translated ones underneath, so I had to paste the English lines back in, which was kind of messy and caused occasional empty lines here and there. My apologies for that.

As I'm playing through again, I'll fix any issue in my tra file, I'll reupload it here once everything is fixed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:44:12 am by n0l4n »

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 02:18:49 pm »
@n0l4n
I've taken a look, and have found a missing empty line after  %SIDENAME% (right before zero) and a little above there's an extra empty line right after il verbo and before Wrong value for 'side'. (A few lines (7) above %SIDENAME%)

Edit: But this isn't enough to fix it. Also I did another test, but just replacing these lines and it still comes out in english, which is odd. Guess I might need to look closer in the code to fix it. Maybe it's using some code that translation doesn't work. Some functions need to be told to use the translation file. :/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:11:24 pm by Cassiebsg »

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2020, 04:04:11 pm »
@n0l4n
I've taken a look, and have found a missing empty line after  %SIDENAME% (right before zero) and a little above there's an extra empty line right after il verbo and before Wrong value for 'side'. (A few lines (7) above %SIDENAME%)

Edit: But this isn't enough to fix it. Also I did another test, but just replacing these lines and it still comes out in english, which is odd. Guess I might need to look closer in the code to fix it. Maybe it's using some code that translation doesn't work. Some functions need to be told to use the translation file. :/

Ok, I'll fix those two extra lines for now and I'll continue testing, let me know if you find out anything else, thank you.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2020, 04:50:13 pm »
Okay, I figured out how to fix this, but this is not something that can be fixed without a new version of the game being compiled. And it'll take some work finding all the places that need the code to be changed.

For the game coders: All Strings will need to be added  "Get Translation(string)" to the code.

Here's an explanation by CW: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54837.msg636561658#msg636561658

And here's a line I changed on the source to test this:
Line 157 of CatacombsDemoPuzzle.asc
cataData.saintClue = String.Format("The verb has %s, the soul has %s. The last one has %s.", GetTranslation(countVerb) , GetTranslation(countSoul), GetTranslation(countHeart));

Edit: I just realized you have more untranslated lines, where there's probably no String usage, so I'll go back to look at those.

But to answer you this:
I've also noticed that characters like à, ù and such are displayed correctly in the dialogue selection screen, they show up as "?" only once the line is actually "spoken" and displayed in the upper portion of the screen, which seemed odd to me.

Only odd cause you don't how AGS works. The thing is the game uses several fonts, and each GUI text is using 1 or more fonts.
It'll be a lot of code lines to change this. In that case the dialogue selection screen is using a font that has special characters, but speech isn't.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:06:20 pm by Cassiebsg »

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2020, 05:33:03 pm »
@AmigaMaster

Uhm, seems like your Google docs ruined the formatting of the original file.

This
 Line

is not equal to this
Line

nor to this
Line

(highlight the text if you can't see/figure out the difference)

Your Google docs has removed all spaces before the first non space character, and maybe also the last one.
For AGS a space is just another character like A, 8, b or &... it's got a code number and it's important. So when you replaced the english lines with the ones from Google Docs you changed the formatting of some of the lines, which means AGS can no longer find them in the source code (because they're no longer identical).
So the only way to solve this is, unfortunately, to open the original trs file and copy/paste the translated lines one by one in the empty lines. And them save it as a new GER.trs file.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2020, 07:04:41 pm »
Fixes to the Italian.trs:

Original English line:

"Give back the toe at once" ---> missing the ! at the end.

"I'd say it was a furnace or an oven. It's OLD" --> missing the . at the end of the line.

"The rumour says that he stashed a treasure somewhere here"  --> missing the . at the end of the line.

EDIT:
New tra: https://www.mediafire.com/file/g4xf5t4gdxk0dax/ITA.tra/file
New trs: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2loz9mcg622oi3t/ita.trs/file
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:26:00 pm by Cassiebsg »

Offline doctorfargo

• Project Leader
  • The Man with the Hat is Back in Action...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2020, 09:29:42 pm »
I'm 100% OK with making the sources available, it's just that I'm off the grid for two weeks.

Please note that I'm not in favor of sharing the link to Sync.com, whether be editable or just readonly. For all sorts of technical reasons.
I think what must be done is copy the folder of the sources, zip it up, and share it using any kind of file transfer tool, like WeTransfer or whatnot.
Then the tester can test around as much as they want.

I completely understand not sharing the Sync.com folder (as it's too easy to potentially mess up!).

Would it be possible to share the source on GitHub or just use method of .zipping the source?

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2020, 09:44:32 pm »
@AmigaMaster

Uhm, seems like your Google docs ruined the formatting of the original file.

(...)

Great, thank you! Little whitespace bastards ;) They must have been lost by some copy and paste function as from my first tests google docs at least does not strip leading whitespaces (line 563 in original translation file) - did not found a line with appended whitespace though.

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2020, 10:35:31 pm »

(...)

Would it be possible to share the source on GitHub or just use method of .zipping the source?

Please note, that Github only allows 3 members for private repositories! So if more than 3 people should work with the repository, is must be made public. Maybe this is not what you want.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2020, 11:21:40 pm »
Fixes to the Italian.trs:

Original English line:

"Give back the toe at once" ---> missing the ! at the end.

"I'd say it was a furnace or an oven. It's OLD" --> missing the . at the end of the line.

"The rumour says that he stashed a treasure somewhere here"  --> missing the . at the end of the line.

EDIT:
New tra: https://www.mediafire.com/file/g4xf5t4gdxk0dax/ITA.tra/file
New trs: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2loz9mcg622oi3t/ita.trs/file

Awesome, thanks.

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2020, 01:14:14 am »
I fixed the German translation file (using a Diff & Merge editor) and it compiles and looks good now. Post http://binarylegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,981.msg8383.html#msg8383 is updated with the latest file.

After some more tests with Google docs, I decided to abandon it. There are too much problems with character replacements when copying more than one line.

I found a collaborative code editor instead. After a copy and paste test I 'diffed' both content and they were identical up to the last byte.

If you want to contribute:
The German translation is available at https://codeshare.io/5Dq8dl. Anyone with the link can fully edit the file, even multiple people at once. You do not require any login.

Important: If you copy the translation from codeshare to your local editor, change you local file to UTF-8 encoding before pasting the data.