Author Topic: Translations  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 02:07:02 am »
@AmigaMaster: I'm not the writer, so I'll give my best guess trying to answer your questions.

I know a certain snake that was charming too. Repent!
Ich kenne da auch eine bestimmte Schlange, die war mal charmant. Kehre um! ////Had some problems translating this, really needs a better translation! Which snake is meant?

I would assume it's referring to the snake in Adam and Eve... but I might be wrong.

It used to finish the Fjord run in 12 nautic miles, you know.
Sie hat einst den Fjordlauf in 12 nautischen Meilen beendet, müssen sie wissen.////Anyone knows what a Fjord run is? The name 'Fjordlauf' exist in German but I don't know what it is so I translated 1:1.

"a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs, as in Norway and Iceland, typically formed by submergence of a glaciated valley." - According to Google translate.

The "run" is probably just a competition.

Bye bye.
Tschüss.////Bye Bye typically is used when you know someone pretty well. Between two strangers, you would use Good bye. I translated into German bye bye 'tschüss'. Good bye would be 'Auf Wiedersehen'

I'm not really sure you need help with this one. Seems perfect to me. :D

You mean, open that person with a knife or something?
Du meinst, ich soll die Person mit einem Messer oder ähnlichem öffnen?////Open person? :-) Looks like this is unused parts for Relic of the Viking?

The wonderful life of source code. full of unfulfilled ideas and stuff. :D

'Forget this folly and remove one from %SIDENAME%.', He said to them.
'Vergesst diesen Wahnwitzigen and verringere %SIDENAME% um eins', sagte Er zu ihnen.////Unable to translate without some creative rewriting due to the different articles "das" (heart and verb) and "die" (soul)

Be creative. :) I can't tell you how to translate into german. I know too little of it to even be helpfull here. selmiak?

You now have access to the following extra features :
Du hast jetzt Zugriff auf die folgendes Extras:////Would you like to talk to the player personally, like a buddy (then it is "Du") or from some distance, then it is ("Sie"). I would recommend "Du"

I think this is up to you to decide. But I know the dilemma.

I have better things to do than rehearsing my course.
Ich habe besseres zu tun als meinen Unterricht zu proben. ////Is this correct? Indy wants to test (rehearse) his student course?

I don't remember this line in the demo (oh, probably for the old demo?), but I would guess it's probably intended as "This is a pointless discussion" "he already knows that"... or something to that effect.

Someone left that artifact on my desk before the class.
Irgendjemand hat das Artefakt auf meinem Schreibtisch im Klassenraum liegen gelassen.//// On teh desk inside the class room? (That's what I translated)

Yes, I suppose so. Someone went by dropped the "item" on his desk, inside the classroom, and then left.  I don't think people are suppose to be able to go by his office when he's not there. He's got a secretary for that. :)

... This stone artifact was discovered in my class dig.
... Dieses Steinartefakt wurde in meiner Schulausgrabung entdeckt.////Class dig = school dig (excavation)?

Class dig = his class, the one he teaches at the College. They probably went on a field trip and do a dig (excavation) to learn and look for ancient artefacts. Of course, if could just as well be when he was a student and went on a class dig... but I'm assuming it was while he was the teacher. :D

Let's start cooking, BITCH.
Lass und was kochen, Schlampe. //// Cooking means really to cook something to eat? Did not find any other meaning in english urban dictionary

Well, one can also cook drugs. But can also be an expression for "let's get to work", 'let's do it". I don't remember where the line is used, but I'm guessing it's meant as the later and not really referring
 to cooking a meal or food.

There is already a WaitNoBlock going on.
Es gibt schon einen WaitNoBlock//// ??? Internal AGS command 'NoBlock'

Yes, this is internal code use for debugging. Doesn't need a translation. :) just delete the translated line.

It fits.
Er passt. ////What fits where? Or is it commonly used? I assumed it applies to the small key, so it is "Er" in German

Yes, probably refers to the small key. But you might want to play and look for the line in game to be sure.

*Crrrrrrr*
*Knarrrrr*////Which noise should this be? I guess shields (some wooden noise) - I was not able to get this text from my playthrough and save games

No idea where this one is.

I don't see the mop.
////Wish mop or something else? Also did not find where to trigger this.

Likely another lost line from old source code.

Lines
//// Which Lines?

Probably inside code that doesn't need to be translated.

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 04:01:53 am »
@cassiebsg

I've finished playing through the game a second time using the TRS file you uploaded a couple of days ago and I've made several adjustments to my original italian file, I've fixed several senteces, got rid of many extra empty lines, improven structure and punctuation and so on.

If you could be so kind as to compile a TRA file from this revised TRS I'm uploading here, I could give it a final test and check if everything is finally ok.

Thanks in advance.

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 04:17:51 am »
Thanks to Cassiebsg, I updated the German translation again (complied successfully).

I laughed out loud, when I saw my translation with the cooking BITCH, - of course this is a phrase but once I did not get it. Sometimes it is just too late to work on translations.

Changes:
- Updated more than a dozen translations and found another few typos.
- Updated all commented lines (thank you, Cassiebsg for your valuable input)
- I will attach the compiled translation to my initial post to make it easier to test for those who cannot compile

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 12:21:25 pm »
You're welcome and thanks for doing the translation. :)

New Italian tra: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e7l9z16395qguw6/ITA.tra/file

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 04:29:59 pm »
You're welcome and thanks for doing the translation. :)

New Italian tra: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e7l9z16395qguw6/ITA.tra/file

Something doesn't seem to work as intended, everything is in English except for the opening titles.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:26 pm »

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2020, 07:26:29 pm »
You removed the empty line after $SIDENAME$

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jkx16aq3r894d6c/ITA.tra/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mn42j4x3uyfas7d/ita.trs/file

I did not check for other mistakes.

My apologies, I thought I was supposed to do that.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2020, 07:34:04 pm »
Nope, after an original line you either have an empty line or a translated line. :)

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »
Nope, after an original line you either have an empty line or a translated line. :)

Got it.

So everything seems to be in order now, I'll need to fix the format of the disclaimer at the start, I can fix that easily.

Once you click the scroll on the tinted glass, line displays in Italian, but numbers still appear in English (One, two, three...)

Also the three hints of the three Saints in Indy's diary, are still fully in English.

Everything else seems to be ok so far, I'll report if there's more.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2020, 08:31:13 pm »
These are variables and require scripting and compiling a new version of the demo.

I'll check if the hints in the journals also are variables or if it's the trs that still has an error... I'l be back!  :hat:

EDIT: They are also coded.

For the devs (or those who wish to compile their own version of the demo to test this).

In CatacombsDemoPuzzle.asc replace lines 261 to 273 with the following:
Code: (AGS) [Select]
void game_start()
{
    //INITIALIZATION OF GENERIC SENTENCES (some of them will be picked later)
    //generic sentences for modifiers "+1"
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_PlusOne[0] = GetTranslation("And they saw that %SIDENAME% needed one more to please the Lord.");
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_PlusOne[1] = GetTranslation("Let them add one to %SIDENAME%, said He.");
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_PlusOne[2] = GetTranslation("The truth will be revealed to them if %SIDENAME% has one more.");

//generic sentences for modifiers "-1"
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_MinusOne[0] = GetTranslation("'Forget this folly and remove one from %SIDENAME%.', He said to them.");
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_MinusOne[1] = GetTranslation("The humility commands you to remove one from %SIDENAME%.");
    modifiersSentencesTemplates_MinusOne[2] = GetTranslation("He looked and said: 'You chose that number for %SIDENAME%? That is one too many'.");
}
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:25:18 pm by Cassiebsg »

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 12:54:05 am »
Done testing, as far as I can tell this is the definitive italian translation file, all it needs is a font that's able to display special characters such as ù à è and a translation for the verbs used to interact.

And that bit of code @cassiebsg was talking about in order to display the numbers and the hints in Italian as well, for the skull puzzle.

And that's it, it's done.

How long do you think it's going to take to you guys to do that? I'm only asking because I'd like the chance to stream the game on Twitch and make a video on YouTube about it, and I also know a couple of other streamers who are interested in live streaming it, as soon as the Italian version is complete.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 01:56:08 am »
Well, my version currently has working fonts  on the disclaimer screen and speech for both German and Italian. I have not yet found the hotspot text. I can post the code for anyone willing to compile their own version of the demo.

Is there other screens that need special characters in the font?
- Credits text... settings? any others?

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 03:00:58 am »
Well, my version currently has working fonts  on the disclaimer screen and speech for both German and Italian. I have not yet found the hotspot text. I can post the code for anyone willing to compile their own version of the demo.

Is there other screens that need special characters in the font?
- Credits text... settings? any others?

I noticed a misaligned shadow in the popup window, when trying to open the bonus when you are not allowed to do so:

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 03:19:13 am »
Argh! You added empty lines again!

Offline AmigaMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:51 am »
Do you mean the online text? Yes, temporarily there were two lines at the top, I am currently spell checking the text inside my local editor. But with a clean file, the shadow remains misaligned - I will test without special characters when I am finished.