Author Topic: Translations  (Read 41832 times)

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2020, 03:17:22 pm »
I just looked at the Fre.trs file and it's not even translated , guess the dev was just using it to test the special characters. There's actually no French language in the demo...
You're unbelievably insightful, yes, that's exactly what happened.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2020, 04:00:15 pm »
You have no problem with AGSEditor :p , it's just something you need to install IF the editor doesn't run. Maybe it's got some other name.

For example, 3.5.0 needs this one VC 2015 redistributable needed for AGS Editor on Windows.... of course it will only ask you to install it if it's not already installed.

In previous versions:
- Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0;
- Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5;
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4;

Here's a link to the topic: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47538.msg636444670#msg636444670

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2020, 07:46:08 am »
Yes OK now I understand what you meant. The .Net framework is a classic.

Here is an early version of the German version : https://we.tl/t-IE6rKmAliY

What works, translation-wise : The in-game dialogs, when the character talks (but maybe not when you speak with another character)
What doesn't work, translation-wise : 1) The menus. So no need to discuss it yet,  2) The catacombs strings: The clues on the scroll and the words "one", "two"... But I've noted cassibsg's input and will apply the fix soon.

Please check if you notice anything fishy (for example : ö works but not ß or anything of that kind).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 12:48:48 pm by jeancallisti »

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2020, 12:26:51 pm »
For the game coders: All Strings will need to be added  "Get Translation(string)" to the code.
Here's an explanation by CW: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54837.msg636561658#msg636561658
And here's a line I changed on the source to test this:
Line 157 of CatacombsDemoPuzzle.asc
cataData.saintClue = String.Format("The verb has %s, the soul has %s. The last one has %s.", GetTranslation(countVerb) , GetTranslation(countSoul), GetTranslation(countHeart));

Noted. Great investigation work.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2020, 12:44:00 pm »
I know a certain snake that was charming too. Repent!
Ich kenne da auch eine bestimmte Schlange, die war mal charmant. Kehre um! ////Had some problems translating this, really needs a better translation! Which snake is meant?

I would assume it's referring to the snake in Adam and Eve... but I might be wrong. > CORRECT

It used to finish the Fjord run in 12 nautic miles, you know.
Sie hat einst den Fjordlauf in 12 nautischen Meilen beendet, müssen sie wissen.////Anyone knows what a Fjord run is? The name 'Fjordlauf' exist in German but I don't know what it is so I translated 1:1.

"a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs, as in Norway and Iceland, typically formed by submergence of a glaciated valley." - According to Google translate.

The "run" is probably just a competition. > CORRECT. It's a joke in reference to the "Kessel run" line in Star Wars. Han Solo says "The Millenium falcon ran the Kessel run in 12 parsecs", and here the fisherman says "My boat finished the Fjord run in 12 nautic miles". If you're not sure how to translate it then Google Han Solo's line in German.

Bye bye.
Tschüss.////Bye Bye typically is used when you know someone pretty well. Between two strangers, you would use Good bye. I translated into German bye bye 'tschüss'. Good bye would be 'Auf Wiedersehen'

I'm not really sure you need help with this one. Seems perfect to me. :D > YOU DECIDE THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF LANGUAGE. IT'S NOT ESSENTIAL

You mean, open that person with a knife or something?
Du meinst, ich soll die Person mit einem Messer oder ähnlichem öffnen?////Open person? :-) Looks like this is unused parts for Relic of the Viking?

The wonderful life of source code. full of unfulfilled ideas and stuff. :D > This line is used whenever the player tries to "open" a character.

'Forget this folly and remove one from %SIDENAME%.', He said to them.
'Vergesst diesen Wahnwitzigen and verringere %SIDENAME% um eins', sagte Er zu ihnen.////Unable to translate without some creative rewriting due to the different articles "das" (heart and verb) and "die" (soul)

Be creative. :) I can't tell you how to translate into german. I know too little of it to even be helpfull here. selmiak? > Yes, be creative. As long as the line means that SIDENAME must have one less. and it sounds biblical.

You now have access to the following extra features :
Du hast jetzt Zugriff auf die folgendes Extras:////Would you like to talk to the player personally, like a buddy (then it is "Du") or from some distance, then it is ("Sie"). I would recommend "Du"

I think this is up to you to decide. But I know the dilemma. > Yes, you decide.

I have better things to do than rehearsing my course.
Ich habe besseres zu tun als meinen Unterricht zu proben. ////Is this correct? Indy wants to test (rehearse) his student course?

I don't remember this line in the demo (oh, probably for the old demo?), but I would guess it's probably intended as "This is a pointless discussion" "he already knows that"... or something to that effect. > Line not present in the demo. Just ignore it.

Someone left that artifact on my desk before the class.
Irgendjemand hat das Artefakt auf meinem Schreibtisch im Klassenraum liegen gelassen.//// On teh desk inside the class room? (That's what I translated)

Yes, I suppose so. Someone went by dropped the "item" on his desk, inside the classroom, and then left.  I don't think people are suppose to be able to go by his office when he's not there. He's got a secretary for that. :) > Line not present in the demo. Just ignore it.

... This stone artifact was discovered in my class dig.
... Dieses Steinartefakt wurde in meiner Schulausgrabung entdeckt.////Class dig = school dig (excavation)?

Class dig = his class, the one he teaches at the College. They probably went on a field trip and do a dig (excavation) to learn and look for ancient artefacts. Of course, if could just as well be when he was a student and went on a class dig... but I'm assuming it was while he was the teacher. :D > Line not present in the demo. Just ignore it.

Let's start cooking, BITCH.
Lass und was kochen, Schlampe. //// Cooking means really to cook something to eat? Did not find any other meaning in english urban dictionary

Well, one can also cook drugs. But can also be an expression for "let's get to work", 'let's do it". I don't remember where the line is used, but I'm guessing it's meant as the later and not really referring
 to cooking a meal or food. > Line not present in the demo. Just ignore it. PS: It's hilarious that you saw that, it's just a string debug test sentence I added while watching Breaking Bad. It was not meant to be seen by anyone. Imagine Indy speaking in Jessie Pinkman's voice ;)

There is already a WaitNoBlock going on.
Es gibt schon einen WaitNoBlock//// ??? Internal AGS command 'NoBlock'

Yes, this is internal code use for debugging. Doesn't need a translation. :) just delete the translated line. Do not translate technical lines

It fits.
Er passt. ////What fits where? Or is it commonly used? I assumed it applies to the small key, so it is "Er" in German

Yes, probably refers to the small key. But you might want to play and look for the line in game to be sure. Yes, check that it is correct by playing the game.

*Crrrrrrr*
*Knarrrrr*////Which noise should this be? I guess shields (some wooden noise) - I was not able to get this text from my playthrough and save games

No idea where this one is. > This happens when you try to solve the final puzzle inside the wooden church and the stone basin is empty. This is the sound of overheated stone/burning dust/barbecue.

I don't see the mop.
////Wish mop or something else? Also did not find where to trigger this.

Likely another lost line from old source code. > That's when you look at the bucket. It literally means "There's no mop next to this bucket"

Lines
//// Which Lines?

Probably inside code that doesn't need to be translated. > Yes

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2020, 05:10:29 pm »
This code will enable you to compile a version with working Speech, Hotspot cursor, and some GUI text for special characters (should work for western European languages).
Locate: Scripts->framework->Translations (double click to open or click the +)

Translations Script (Translation.asc) add the following code to the end of the file:
Code: (AGS) [Select]
// Note check GUI->FloatingHotspot.asc function _drawHotspot for setting new font.

void ChangeTranslationFonts() // added by Cassiebsg
{
if (IsTranslationAvailable())
{...

Important remark : This function is meant only when the translation calls for a narrower font. I was considering that when doing tests with French, where every text is 20% longer than English. It would also make sense in German...

...BUT...

...In the end things seem to work without using the narrow font (apart from adding the missing special characters, I mean). I'm using TumbleText and TumbleSpeech in place of Font 0 and Font 1 and it works quite well, plus that font is almost identical to the well-known Lucasarts font.
Therefore I will just change the font to "TumbleXXXX" in every GUI.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2020, 05:19:00 pm »
And that is why, my version if unofficial. :) I'm sure you'll fix it with the proper fonts. :D

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2020, 05:22:02 pm »
@n0l4n my request for you : Please use the same online tool as Amiga master ("code something") to keep you TRA file uploaded and up to date. I need to produce a minimal effort to always know what's the latest version. I need to just be able to go to that file and copy its content and be sure that it's the latest version.

@Amiga Master : Can you explain why you wrote "Sie gehoert in ein Museum" and not "Sie gehoert in einem Museum" ?

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2020, 02:33:00 pm »
@n0l4n my request for you : Please use the same online tool as Amiga master ("code something") to keep you TRA file uploaded and up to date. I need to produce a minimal effort to always know what's the latest version. I need to just be able to go to that file and copy its content and be sure that it's the latest version.

@Amiga Master : Can you explain why you wrote "Sie gehoert in ein Museum" and not "Sie gehoert in einem Museum" ?

https://tzachshabtay.github.io/ags-trs-editor/  you mean this one?
However, this one is the final version of my Italian TRA file compiled by Cassiebsg, I've tested it and everything seems to be in order.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2020, 08:15:14 am »

https://tzachshabtay.github.io/ags-trs-editor/  you mean this one?
However, this one is the final version of my Italian TRA file compiled by Cassiebsg, I've tested it and everything seems to be in order.

Not, not that one. That one : https://codeshare.io/5Dq8dl (That's the German translation, don't overwrite it! Create your own)

Offline selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57:48 pm »

because it's correct german. Except that it should be "gehört" and not gehoert...
to me more precise, "Sie gehoert in ein Museum" means it belongs into a museum, it should be in a museum, while "Sie gehoert in einem Museum" doesn't make sense, "Sie gehoert einem Museum" (without the "in") means it belongs to a museum, like, it is their property, "while Sie gehoert in einem Museum" means literally it belongs to into a musem, see, that makes no sense ;)

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2020, 04:27:29 pm »
because it's correct german
OK, good enough for me! :)

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2020, 07:36:29 pm »

Hello jeancallisti,

as selmiak wrote, is is the grammatical correct case in German language. You can see the original quotation from the movie here http://www.filmzitate.info/index-link.php?link=http://www.filmzitate.info/suche/film-zitate.php?film_id=418 (search for "museum" and then it is the first hit).

Please don't ask for grammatical details. As a native speaker I am much less involved in grammar compared to someone who learns foreign languages and is required to learn the grammatical differences between languages ;D

Offline AmigaMaster

• I love Indy (and Amiga)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »
I updated the codeshare translation and the attachments in my post http://binarylegends.net/forum/index.php/topic,981.msg8383.html#msg8383 with the latest versions after input from jeancallisti. Only two lines changed.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
Thanks. Still working on the overall system on my end. Thank you for your patience. In the mean time maybe you could help uploading the Italian translation to code share?