Author Topic: Translations  (Read 2253 times)

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
Re: Translations
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:17 am »
Just to add, that I'm working on a Portuguese translation and might do a Danish afterwards. (if anyone wants to help with this, like proofreading my translation, I would appreciate it very much. :) )

You guys want me dead, lol.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
  • There are those you believe...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2020, 05:50:23 pm »
Nah, but adding new translations should be minimal work for the dev. None if the dev avoids image texts. ;) But I know this is almost impossible.
However, if you provide "work" sources for the images, then the translator can also do those, if he's got the skills to do so.

Dev mode wearing thinking hat:
Maybe it would be cool if we could provide external image files that would be loaded as Dynamic Sprites automatically according to the translation?  Maybe a module or something.
And then name the images ITAimg01.png, GERimg03.png and have the module say that img01 = sprite x or something like that?
I can see that being a very useful module for those wanting translations on their games. Can't remember if it's possible in AGS to read a file from inside a packed file (like zip), since that would be a neat way to pack the language package...

Just food for thought.  ;D

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2020, 07:12:54 pm »
Hi friends! :D

My name is Paolo, and I'm one of the Italian translator of the FIRST demo of this beautiful project.

Precisely as a translator, I am fully aware of any situation in which one may encounter personal interpretations, so how much I write is only a clarification. I have no intention of creating animosity.

I would like to report how strange it sounds to me what was written before.

I'm going to report what I remember.

- The title question.

Quote from: n0l4n
The name should be "Indiana Jones e le sette città d'oro" instead of "dell'oro".

In the Italian "Arena80" forum, we discussed how to render the Italian title.

http://forum.arena80.it/index.php?topic=5939.0

At the time I had also tried to ask Doctor Fargo some explanations about that gold, but I wasn't answered because otherwise the plot of the adventure would be revealed.

So the dilemma remained: were the cities built in gold ("Città d'oro"), or were the cities where the gold could be found ("Città dell'oro")?

Having had no further clarification, it was decided for the solution you know. ;)

- Menu F5

"Press F5 to open the menu" is "Premi F5 per aprire il menù", just in case you need it.

In the demo I have, there is NOT this issue (?!?)

- Screenshots translated

"Moments Later" and "Meanwhile" are left in English (shuld be "Poco dopo..." e "Intanto...)

... But those screenshots HAD BEEN TRANSLATED! O_O

Example:

- Telegram

Marcus' telegram has no translation.

Yes, of course it was translated! Here to you:

- The italian GUI

When you try to use an object on a target, verbs turn from italian to English in the highlighted light blue text

In my PC this never happens! O_O

EDIT:
YES... It happens, but ONLY with the verb "use".

At first I thought that these differences depended on the different operating systems used, but I tried with both Windows XP and Windows 10, and it all worked fine.

Well, what can I say? Maybe the old demo has been upgraded to a new version of AGS, so some things are not working properly anymore?

In any case the version with the Italian translation (fully functional), both compiled and source, is still available here:

https://filedn.com/lkLsMLMYh4FhvNjoMRmt1nF/Giocherellone/IndianaJones-SevenCities/IJ-7-Citta.zip
https://filedn.com/lkLsMLMYh4FhvNjoMRmt1nF/Giocherellone/IndianaJones-SevenCities/IJ-7-Citta(source).zip

I take this opportunity to thank again Aprilskies from the AGS forum for the work done for this demo on the occasion of the translation into Italian (programming and graphics).

@n0l4n
Weeks ago, when you started to translate this new fantastic demo "Indiana Jones and the relik of the Viking", I proposed you by PM to collaborate... Have you seen my message?

I remain available for any clarification or anything else I can help you with.

Again lots of COMPLIMENTS for this demo and my best wishes for the project!

A hug from Italy!

Paolo "Giocherellone" ;)

Hey, my name is Paolo as well.

As for what you reported. There's no animosity here, but I had to report what I found in the demo I was given, which is precisely what I did.

Now I have no idea if that was a previous version, but I reported no more and no less than what i found.

What was not translated, simply wasnt, in the version I was testing, that's all.

As for the title I really don't see the big issue here. The legend of the seven cities of gold of Cibola is called "Le sette città d'oro" in italian.
Here are a few articles:
https://immagineperduta.it/la-leggenda-delle-sette-citta-doro-di-cibola/
http://www.tuttostoria.net/medio-evo.aspx?code=345
There's also a movie called "le sette città d'oro"which refers precisely to that
https://www.comingsoon.it/film/le-sette-citta-d-oro/17562/scheda/

It's a proper legend with a proper historical name, which is the name that needs to be used, there's no way around this fact.
That's also how they refer to it in the movie "National Treasure: Book of Secrects" which I recently rewatched.
And yes, it's about a city made entirely of gold.

Edit: @Giocherellone I didn't notice your PM, my apologies for that. I'll get back to you right away!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:47:31 pm by n0l4n »

Offline n0l4n

• I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2020, 07:41:53 pm »
@n0l4n : This needs to be translated to Italian :

cNarrator2.Say("HAVE FOUND SOMETHING OF INTEREST WHILE ON TRIP TO AMERICAN SOUTHWEST");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("IT COULD BE IMPORTANT ARCHEOLOGICAL FIND");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("SUGGEST YOU COME OUT TO FLAGSTAFF ARIZONA TO MEET ME");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("I AM STAYING AT THE FLAGSTAFF SUNRISE HOTEL");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("MARCUS BRODY");

cNarrator2.Say("TROVATO QUALCOSA DI INTERESSANTE DURANTE VIAGGIO IN SUD OVEST AMERICA");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("POTREBBE ESSERE UN'IMPORTANTE RITROVAMENTO SCIENTIFICO");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("TI SUGGERISCO DI RAGGIUNGERMI A FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("MI TROVI ALL'HOTEL FLAGSTAFF SUNRISE");
        cNarrator2.Say("STOP");
        cNarrator2.Say("MARCUS BRODY");

I'd like to put the whole translation up on codeshare but 1)the website doesn't seem to be working at the moment and 2) I wasn't given a TRS file for the old demo, I only have the TRA that's included in the game folder I was given for testing and I'm not really skilled enough with AGS to know how to extract it, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:02:27 am by n0l4n »

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2020, 01:36:23 pm »
The old demo doesn't need any more translation at this stage.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2020, 12:11:34 am »
Uhm, I'm finding several typos as I go along translating.

exemple:
Scandinavians would preserve salted meet and other goods in them.

It's meat, not meet.

I pops straight out of the ice wall... And back again into the ground, to God knows where.

It... not I.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:52 am »
Excellent, keep them coming.

My news : Still working on it. On its own, Relic works perfectly with translations. On its own, the Old Demo works perfectly with translations. I'm just struggling with AGS to let me switch from the host game to the embedded game when both don't have the same translation files. It should be easy but I'm losing steam. I'll get back to it this weekend.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2020, 02:07:15 pm »
Today I got the languages switch work flawlessly in both Relic and the Old Demo, and change language when running the demo from within Relic.
The rest is just a formality now.

Sandra, how are you coming along with Portuguese and Norwegian? Are both those translations a firm yes, or a "maybe"?
Same question to you, Bjoerk.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2020, 05:36:16 pm »
It's Danish, not Norwegian. :p
Portuguese is almost done, then I need to check all lines in game and adjust.

But I'm currently working on a MAGS entry, so translation has dropped in priority.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:51 pm »
Woops, now that I live in Scandinavia I automatically assume that everything is up North, either Norwegian or Swedish :-D
Let me know as soon as I can import Portuguese. We can release Danish later maybe ? I'd like to have something stable for version 1.1 so I'd rather focus on less material.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2020, 02:35:37 am »
Of course. :)

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2020, 01:32:15 pm »
Okay, just a little update. I've finished translation, now I just need to find the time to play the demo and try everything so I can check if what I wrote actually works/is appropriate for the situation. I did not translate the lines that sounded to be for the old demo though. I'm assuming these aren't suppose to be translated... let me know if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I've hit a nagg/wall... no matter what I do I can't get the special characters in my translation to show up right. :/ Until I figure this out, I can't correct the translation. So feel free to release the new demo with the current languages and not wait for me.

EDIT 2: Okay I figured what was off... forgetting I should set the fonts in the translation file didn't help.  ;D
Anyway, now the hard work part, running and playing the game and changing the lines to sound more natural. And fix the stuff I didn't translate.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:46:11 pm by Cassiebsg »

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »
Anyway, now the hard work part, running and playing the game and changing the lines to sound more natural. And fix the stuff I didn't translate.

That's awesome!
Do you need any assistance at this point? I've been very busy in real life but would you like a more direct contact for the finish? I'll send you my email in PM.

Offline Cassiebsg

• Project Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2020, 12:43:33 pm »
I've been busy as well, and haven't done much. :/ And just by starting the game I cringed at my "translation". That I basically have to redo all lines from in game, without the English influencing me this time. lol

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 10:22:15 pm »
Oh well, keep me posted.