Author Topic: Ranting about Disney  (Read 414 times)

Offline Nowhere Girl

• long live retro games
    • View Profile
Ranting about Disney
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:47:19 pm »
It makes me sad how small fan developers are scared of Disney - I mean, I understand the reasons, but I can't accept the situation.
The Disney company loves appropriating everything. I know of a comparable situation: the case of Winnie the Pooh. Yes, Disney has made a lot of Winnie the Pooh cartoons of varying length. But still - the Disney company has not even created the character! After all, the origins of Winnie the Pooh are in Alan Alexander Milne's books and they precede the cartoons by several decades.
However, Disney has acquired all rights to Winnie the Pooh and around 2000 it simply, unblushingly, banned all theatre plays based on "Winnie the Pooh" which weren't "licenced" by them!!!! I have had an opportunity to see one of creative interpretations of the books which has fallen victim to this move: "Winnie P.", in one of theatres in Warsaw, which showed characters from "Winnie the Pooh" as insecure, neurotic people. In contrast, Disney's "Winnie the Pooh" is widely criticised as a simplification, very superficial version of the messages found in the literary version.
I believe that the copyright system needs a reform. Yes, artists should obviously be allowed to profit from their work. But a reform is needed which would reflect actual authorship, prevent an outside party from gaining full rights to works and characters they didn't create themselves.
I'm not sure about British and American law, but under Polish law copyright expires 70 years after the author's death* - which means that, in case of "Winnie the Pooh", the works enter public domain in 2026. I'm not sure what it means for Disney. But anyway, Disney created neither Winnie the Pooh, nor Indiana Jones, and therefore in a just copyright system should never have full rights to either character.

*Which, by itself, creates interesting situations. Think how Bavaria preferred blocking editions of "Mein Kampf" instead of allowing a critical edition - and then, suddenly, when 70 years from Hitler's death were drawing close, they realised that as the book enters public domain, a critical edition is really needed to counter editions which will undoubtedly be prepared by neo-Nazis...
Or the case of one of Hitler's victims: Janusz Korczak (real name Henryk Goldszmit), an author of children's books and promotor of respectful education and care. He refused to escape from the ghetto, wanted to accompany Jewish orphans until the end and went with them to Treblinka. Shortly after the war, a legal rule was established in Poland that if someone with all likelihood died during the war, but the exact day remained unknown, they were considered dead one year after the end of the war. A foundation questioned this in case of Korczak, arguing that in his case we can be reasonably sure that he probably died no later than two days after arrival in Treblinka. The court accepted the argumentation and in 2015 Korczak's official day of death was changed to 7th August 1942.

Offline jeancallisti

• Lead Artist
  • I love Indy
    • View Profile
Re: Ranting about Disney
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:19:52 am »
Hello,

Just so you know, we don't post much in the forums anymore. Only for basic updates.
So as much as we appreciate a lively community, I'm afraid you won't get many answers...

Offline selmiak

• incredible
  • Project Tech-Admin
    • View Profile
    • selmiak's webseite
Re: Ranting about Disney
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:16 am »
interesting. george lucas got 4 billion for starwars or the lucasfilm IP. he is filthy rich and probably not that interested in having the rights for it now. And disney paid 4 billion, which is a lot, so they want to have the right over what they bought. but in case of winnie the poo and shutting down theater plays this is mean behaviour, especially if the play is based on the original and not the disney adaption. The same applies to fan adventure games. But at least we haven't been shut down! Yet!

I don't get where you want to go with the Janusz Korczak story...